Simple solutions – Soluciones sencillas

[ Saltar al español – Soluciones sencillas ]
 

I have always enjoyed challenges and finding simple answers to problems. Way back in 1983 I was in the Geological Museum in London for a Young Scientists Model Hot Air Balloon competition. Each balloon was given 30 seconds of hot air and let go. Many hardly got off the ground, others floated for a few seconds before coming back to earth. Mine was a very simple design and I'd carefully tested it with a hairdryer to make sure it was stable. One of the men running the competition saw my design and came over to tell me it would never fly. It came to my turn and after the statutory 30 seconds of hot air it began rising up and up and to everyone's surprise eventually hit the roof of the Atrium. If it hadn't hit one of the roof beams it might have stayed up even longer but it flipped over and as the hot air came out it formed a graceful parachute shape and gently glided back down, winning the junior section of the competition. Scientists are human too and don't always have the correct answers.

So I thought I'd share some simple ideas that may inspire you to try them out. Often with just a little love, care and creativity we can do things to improve our lives. Some of these ideas have come to me during this last year as we've had more time stuck at home. Here are my 'simple solutions'…



(All photos by me, Charles Olsen)

Patch it up

Perhaps the most obvious, but it's not often I find a really comfy pair of jeans and when I do I wear them week in week out, and I find it really hard to replace them. I bought myself a sewing machine in a sale which has made life much easier. You can either buy iron-on patches like the piece on the right, or just use another old pair of jeans and cut fabric to sew in place, like the larger patch above.


Make things last twice as long

I've taken to cutting things in half. Large bars of soap are one: as you don't wet the whole bar the soap lasts longer and it's more comfortable to hold on to. Sponges are another: each half lasts just as long as the whole sponge would. It's actually more comfortable to hold and easier to get into small spaces like inside cups for example. It may be strange at first but it totally makes sense once you've got used to it.


Don't accept built-in obsolescence

The weak point on this Remington beard trimmer is the plastic guard and when it snapped I looked up replacement parts online… there aren't any. So as a guitarrist who has fixed many broken nails I tried the same technique on the plastic. It works fine and I haven't had any more problems. 

You need: Cyanoacrylate (Superglue) and silk, or tissue. I used a guitarrist's nail kit which had a fibreglass cloth. Use a piece of paper or card to spread the glue – Never your fingers! Glue the join first. Cut silk to size to wrap around the break and both sides to add strength. Spread glue thinly around join and wrap silk around join. You just need enough glue to hold fabric in place. Once it is dry then add another layer of glue letting it soak into the silk. Leave to harden. 


Find a work-around

I bought some new earphones not realising that nowadays as they are set up for mobile phones and include a microphone in the cable this meant they would only play in mono if attached to an old stereo device (like my piano keyboard for example). I went to one of the best audio shops in Madrid and they just suggested I buy new headphones… So after a lot of searching I tracked down this 3 euro cable that does the trick.


Keep on running

When I first bought these I loved the design. They are great for here in Spain where it doesn't rain that much. And I thought the way the fabric is folded and stitched over the toe area would reinforce this weak point. I also throw them in the washing machine every now and then and they come out looking almost new. Anyhow, eventually I got holes in both toes I could see my socks through. 

You need: Cyanoacrylate (Superglue), a piece of fabric, needle and thread (match the colour). So I cut an oval of fabric a little bigger than the hole, put some Superglue on it and pressed it in place on the inside of the sneaker – Use a rubber glove to avoid sticking yourself to the inside of the sneaker. Once it has dried stitch closed the hole and stitch a little further out, making sure you go right through the fabric inside. With these mottled fabrics you will hardly notice the sewing and the sneakers will last for ages.



Try something new

I'm grateful for the Meccano I played with as a child. In September 2020 my computer's hard drive stopped working. I got it in late 2007 and it is a great machine so I looked online to see what I could do.

iFixit has kits and instructions for DIY upgrades – the kit I needed was only available from the US site so I looked up the pieces and bought them (cheaper) individually from Amazon in Spain and they arrived the next day (I clicked the wrong button and they added me to Amazon Prime again… but I cancelled my Prime subscription the same day so I didn't get charged at the end of the month.)

So I installed an SSD and it now starts up faster than when it was new. A friend recommended a gadget to plug the old drive into and I was able to recuperate almost all my old files. 

 

Soluciones sencillas

Siempre he disfrutado de los retos y de encontrar respuestas sencillas a problemas aparentemente complicados. Hace años, en 1983, estuve en el Museo Geológico de Londres para un concurso de Globos de Aire Caliente de la asociación de jóvenes científicos. Cada globo recibió 30 segundos de aire caliente y luego los soltaron. Muchos no llegaron a subir y otros flotaban unos segundos antes de caer de nuevo tierra. Mi diseño fue muy sencillo y lo había probado con el aire del secador de pelo para asegurar su estabilidad. Uno de los hombres que organizaba el evento vio mi globo y se acercó para decirme que jamás volaría. Llegó mi turno y después de recibir la regulación de 30 segundos de aire caliente empezó a subir y subir, y para la sorpresa de todos llegó a tocar el techo del patio interior del museo. Si no hubiera chocado con una de las vigas del techo podría haber durado más tiempo, pero se volteó, expulsó el aire caliente y bajó lentamente de forma elegante como un paracaídas. Gané la sección juvenil del concurso. Los científicos también son humanos y no siempre tienen la verdad.

Entonces pensaba compartir unas ideas sencillas que te podrían inspirar. A menudo, con un poco de amor, cuidado y creatividad podemos hacer pequeños experimentos para mejorar nuestras vidas. Algunas de estas ideas me han venido este año mientras estaba confinado en casa. Aquí les comparto mis 'soluciones sencillas'…



(Fotos de Charles Olsen)

Remendar

Quizás es lo más obvio, pero pocas veces encuentro unos jeans muy cómodos. Luego me los pongo todo el tiempo y cuesta tirarlos. Compré una máquina de coser que facilita la vida, ya que puedes comprar parches que se aplican con plancha como la pieza que ven a la derecha, o cortar una pieza de otros viejos jeans y coserlo en su lugar como el parche grande de arriba.


Que duran dos veces más

He empezado a cortar las cosas por la mitad. Las pastillas de jabón grandes: ya que mojar toda la pastilla reduce rápidamente su tiempo de vida, y también es más fácil mantenerla en la mano. Las esponjas de lavar platos es otro de mis cometidos: cada mitad dura el mismo tiempo que una entera. Es realmente más cómodo para la mano y conveniente para espacios pequeños como las tasas por ejemplo. Al principio puede sentirse raro, pero una vez que te acostumbres tiene mucho sentido.


No aceptes la obsolescencia programada

El punto débil de este barbero de Remington es el peine ajustable de plástico, y cuando se rompió busqué la pieza de repuesto pero no había… Bueno, siendo un guitarrista que ha arreglado muchas uñas rotas, utilicé la misma técnica en el plástico y no he tenido más problemas.

Necesitas Cyanoacrylate (pegamento), tela de seda o kleenex. Utilicé un kit de guitarrista con una tela de fibra de vidrio. Usa siempre un trocito de papel o cartón para extender el pegamento. ¡Nunca tus dedos! Ensamblar primero la parte rota con pegamento. Cortar un trocito de la tela para envolver la parte rota y reforzar por los lados. Aplicar pegamento en una capa muy fina y pegar la tela en posición. Una vez se seca añadir otra capa de pegamento para empapar la tela. Dejarlo a secar.


Encontrar soluciones alternativas

Compré unos audífonos nuevos, pero hoy en día siendo para los móviles –con un micro en el cable– significa que solo se escuchaba en mono desde el teclado del piano. Pregunté en una de las mejores tiendas de audio en la calle Barquillo pero querían venderme otros audífonos nuevos… Entonces, después de buscar por todos lados, encontré este cable por 3 euritos que funciona perfectamente.


Sigue corriendo

Me encantó el diseño y vienen muy bien para España donde no llueve tanto. Me gustó como la tela está doblada sobre el dedo gordo y pensaba que iban a durar bastante. Las tiro en la lavadora de vez en cuando y salen casi como nuevas. Bueno, después de un par de años podría ver mis calcetines por los huecos del dedo gordo.

Necesitas: Cyanoacrylate (Pegamento), un trocito de cualquier tela, aguja e hilo (del mismo color). Cortar un parche de tela y pegarlo por dentro –usa un guante de goma para no pegarte al interior de la zapatilla–. Una vez seca puedes coser el hueco y asegurar que pasa bien la aguja por el parche interior. Con las telas moteadas de las zapatillas modernas casi no se nota el arreglo y te durarán un largo tiempo.

 

 

Intentar algo nuevo

Doy gracias al Meccano con que jugaba de niño. En septiembre 2020 dejó de funcionar el disco duro de mi ordenador. Lo compré en 2007 y siendo una buena máquina busqué por internet para ver lo que podría hacer.

iFixit tiene kits e instrucciones para arreglos y actualizaciones – el kit que necesitaba estaba disponible solo en los Estados Unidos, así que encontré las piezas individuales (más baratas) de Amazon en España y llegaron al día siguiente (otra vez me metieron en el Amazon Prime sin querer… pero lo cancelé inmediatamente para evitar cargos al final del mes).

Entonces podría instalar un SSD (unidad de estado sólido) y mi ordenador arrancó más rápidamente que cuando era nuevo. Un amigo me recomendó una lector de disco duro para recuperar casi todos los archivos viejos.

 

Comentarios