'Playing in the sun' – a new studio

[Leer en español abajo.]

The last two weeks I've been settling in to a new studio space in the Centre for Artists' Residencies in the Matadero Madrid[1]. Lilián Pallares and I have received a year-long visual arts residency 'Juegos al sol' ('Playing in the sun') on the theme of 'Childhood, play and public spaces'.

We have a number of proposals we will be working on during the residency, encompassing painting, photography, storytelling, poetry and audiovisual creations, with collaborations with arts institutions and children of different ages.

To start the ball rolling I am continuing work on a large cityscape I began some ten years ago as I get a feel for this huge space and the activities going on in it; the way the light changes during the day, the sound of the heating like a distant aeroplane at take-off, the buzz during the regular morning workshop with people with learning disabilities, the rain on the high roof.



While working on this painting I'm reminded of the large landscape jigsaw puzzles my grandfather enjoyed doing, which he would stick on card to hang on the wall. I remember them hanging in his house in Nelson, New Zealand, a few pieces missing having come unstuck. I'm also reflecting how as children we keep going despite our mistakes. Imagine if we gave up trying to walk the first time we fell and scraped our knees, or gave up talking when someone corrected our language, we wouldn't get very far. But then as adults we sometimes become afraid of making a fool of ourselves. In my painting I become aware of my 'mistakes' but I keep going because it is part of the journey of discovery.

This takes me back to when I was around seven and didn't like going to school. I believed in my own abilities to learn from my own experiences and play. At the same time those around us can be an inspiration. My parents would read to my sister and me. We'd help in the garden or with the compost heap. My mother was studying singing and my father's ministry brought us into contact with many people from different backgrounds and we went on weekend visits to the marae out on the Otago peninsula. Just by following our own dreams and sharing that journey—the ups and the downs—we can allow those around us to also remember and return to their own dreams.

Talking of following ones dreams, Lilián is currently performing in the Cuban zarzuela Cecilia Valdés in the Teatro de la Zarzuela and will join me soon in the studio.

‘Juegos al sol’ – un nuevo estudio
En las últimas dos semanas he estado instalándome en un nuevo estudio en el Centro de Residencias de Artistas en el Matadero Madrid. Lilián Pallares y yo hemos recibido una residencia de artes visuales de un año de duración, 'Juegos al sol', sobre el tema de 'Infancia, juegos y espacios públicos'.

Tenemos una serie de propuestas en las que trabajaremos durante la residencia, que abarcan la pintura, la fotografía, narración de cuentos, la poesía y creaciones audiovisuales, con colaboraciones con instituciones de arte y niños de diferentes edades.

Para comenzar, sigo mi trabajo en un gran paisaje urbano que comencé hace unos diez años, mientras que me acostumbro a este gran espacio y las actividades que se desarrollan en él; la forma en que cambia la luz durante el día, el sonido de la calefacción como un avión distante en el despegue, el murmullo durante el taller de la mañana con personas con discapacidades de aprendizaje, la lluvia sobre el techo alto.

Mientras trabajo en esta pintura, me acuerdo de los grandes rompecabezas de paisajes que mi abuelo disfrutaba hacer, y los pegaba en cartón para colgarlos en la pared. Los recuerdo en su casa en Nelson, Nueva Zelanda, aunque ya habían caídas algunas piezas. También estoy reflejando cómo, como niños, seguimos adelante a pesar de nuestros errores. Imagínete si dejamos de intentar caminar la primera vez que nos caemos y raspamos las rodillas, o si dejamos de hablar cuando alguien corrige nuestras frases, no llegaríamos muy lejos. Pero luego, como adultos, a veces tenemos miedo de hacer el ridículo. En mi pintura me doy cuenta de mis ‘errores’, pero sigo adelante porque es parte del viaje de descubrimiento.

Esto me lleva a cuando tenía alrededor de siete años y no me gustaba ir a la escuela. Creía en mis habilidades para aprender de mis propias experiencias y juegos. Al mismo tiempo, quienes nos rodean pueden ser una inspiración. Mis padres nos leían a mi hermana y a mí. Ayudaríamos en el jardín o con el montón de compost. Mi madre estaba estudiando canto y el ministerio de mi padre nos puso en contacto con muchas personas de diferentes orígenes y fuimos de visita de fin de semana al marae [2] en la península de Otago. Simplemente siguiendo nuestros propios sueños y compartiendo ese viaje con sus altibajos, podemos permitir que quienes nos rodean también recuerden y regresen a sus propios sueños.

Hablando de los sueños, Lilián se presenta actualmente en la zarzuela cubana Cecilia Valdés en el Teatro de la Zarzuela y pronto estaría conmigo en el estudio.


[1] The Matadero is a former slaughterhouse by the River Manzanares, now converted into a contemporary arts centre with theatre, exhibition spaces, activity spaces for children to promote reading and play, cinema, cafés, and a spacious plaza that sees outdoor concerts and fairs.
[2] Marae en maorí significa un lugar tradicional de reunión de la comunidad maorí.

Comentarios