Painting sound

[Saltar al español]

I had piano lessons from five years old until I was ten, and then I had two years of clarinet. With my mother being a professional singer we always had a piano at home, and even though I didn't continue with classes I still enjoy practising. I remember popping into a music shop in Farnham when I was there doing an Art Foundation course and finding sheet music of Peter Dickinson, Alexandre Tansman and Jonathan Harvey, and the excitement of turning the notes on the page into sound.

My parents had collections of classical repertoire and I was especially drawn to Robert Schumann. One particular piece I learnt off by heart but I don't remember the name of it. I went off to university and took up the guitar as it was more practical than the piano for travelling, and soon got caught up with flamenco. Years later flamenco brought me to Spain, and a couple of years ago I finally bought a second hand Yamaha digital piano. I tried to remember the Schumann piece but could only pick out the first arpeggio section. I played it over and over. I listened to pieces on Youtube but couldn't find it. The sheet music wasn't to be found at my parents, maybe because they'd moved house twice in the meantime. I shared the fragment I remembered on Instagram with musician friends but to no avail. Then out of the blue I played the piece all the way through to the end! It only happened once and I couldn't repeat it again… But it was somewhere inside me, I now knew. I few weeks later it came back again and this time I was ready to pounce on it and not let it go. I still don't know the name but I love playing it.

Another of Schumann's pieces I started to learn at the same time was Romance 28 No2. I only ever learnt the first page and the New Zealand pianist Terrance Dennis, who was visiting us, gave me some pointers on how to approach it. After many attempts to get beyond the second page I thought it was about time I really made an effort and so this year I have been working on it most days, and listening over and over to different interpretations on Youtube. So I've made a recording of me playing Schumann's Romance 28 No2. I hope you enjoy it.



I slipped in some cries of the swifts that fly over the rooftops of Madrid in spring and summer – the rooftops of the painting I'm busy working on in the Artist Residency in Matadero Madrid. Like the unfinished music, the cityscape has accompanied me for many years, and like with the Romance I plan to keep going until I reach the end of it.

I love how music can evoke emotions, colours and shapes, and how written music lies on the page. Romance looks complicated as it is written on three staves but this was also its attraction – how to untangle these notes written so by Schumann. Unlike a novel where words become images in your mind, sheet music, at least for me, only gives a very rough impression and the personal process of 'reading', understanding and finding your own interpretation on the piano is like taking ones time to listen to the thoughts of the composer and reflect deeply on what they are saying to you.

My painting always has a close relation with my interests – flamenco and Spanish artists being particular inspirations. In my abstract paintings I work in an intuitive manner and very often find overt connections between the things around me and the finished piece. One series of watercolours, for example, I titled 'After Mozart'. I remember laying them out on the piano and realizing they evoked a veiled melancholy, the same sensation as the piece I had been studying at the time. I don't consciously try to paint a piece of music – I could try but I like this sense of surprise and the revelation of a connection at a deeper level.

Returning to my current painting, I wonder if Schumann's Romance is in any way influencing the painting? Or perhaps my interpretation of Romance has picked up on the colours and textures of the rooftops of my neighbourhood…

Centre for Artist Residencies, Matadero Madrid, Feb 2020. Photo by Lilián Pallares.

Pintando sonido
Tuve clases de piano desde los cinco años hasta los diez, y luego tuve dos años de clarinete. Como mi madre era una cantante profesional, siempre teníamos un piano en casa, y aunque no continué con las clases todavía disfruto tocar. Recuerdo que iba a una tienda de música en Farnham, donde hice un curso de arte, y encontraba partituras de Peter Dickinson, Alexandre Tansman y Jonathan Harvey. Sentí una emoción al convertir las notas de la página en sonido.

Mis padres tenían partituras de repertorio clásico y me atrajo especialmente Robert Schumann. Una pieza en particular la aprendí de memoria pero no recuerdo el nombre. Fui a la universidad y tomé la guitarra, ya que era más práctico que el piano para viajar, y pronto me enganché con el flamenco. Años más tarde el flamenco me trajo a España, y hace un par de años finalmente compré un piano digital Yamaha de segunda mano. Traté de recordar la pieza de Schumann, pero solo pude recordar la primera sección de arpegios. Lo toqué una y otra vez. Escuché piezas en Youtube pero no pude encontrarla. La partitura no se encontraba en casa de mis padres, tal vez porque se habían mudado de casa dos veces mientras tanto. Compartí el fragmento que recordaba en Instagram con músicos amigos, pero fue en vano. Luego, de la nada, toqué la pieza hasta el final. Solo sucedió una vez y no pude repetirlo de nuevo... Pero estaba en algún lugar dentro de mí, ahora lo sabía. Unas semanas después volvió de nuevo y esta vez sí estaba listo para captarla y no dejarla ir. Todavía no sé el nombre pero me encanta tocarla.

Otra de las piezas de Schumann que comencé a aprender al mismo tiempo fue Romance 28 No2. Solo estudié la primera página y el pianista neozelandés Terrance Dennis, que nos estaba visitando, me dio algunos consejos sobre cómo abordarla. Después de muchos intentos de ir más allá de la segunda página, pensé que ya era hora. Realmente hice un esfuerzo y este año he estado trabajando en ello la mayoría de los días, y escuchando una y otra vez las diferentes interpretaciones en Youtube. Así que hice una grabación mía tocando Schumann's Romance 28 No2. Espero que lo disfruten.



He metido en la banda sonora los chillidos de los vencejos que sobrevuelan los tejados de Madrid en primavera y verano; los tejados de la pintura en la que estoy ocupado trabajando en la residencia artística en Matadero Madrid. Al igual que la música inacabada, el paisaje urbano me ha acompañado durante muchos años, y al igual que con el Romance, planeo continuar hasta que llegue al final.

Me encanta cómo la música puede evocar emociones, colores y formas, y cómo la música escrita se encuentra en la página. El Romance parece complicado, ya que está escrito en tres pentagramas, pero esta también es su atracción: cómo desenredar estas notas escritas por Schumann. A diferencia de una novela donde las palabras se convierten en imágenes, las partituras, al menos para mí, solo dan una impresión muy aproximada, y el proceso de 'leer', comprender y encontrar la propia interpretación en el piano es como tomarse el tiempo para escuchar los pensamientos del compositor y reflexionar profundamente sobre lo que está diciendo.

Mi pintura siempre tiene una estrecha relación con mis intereses: el flamenco y los artistas españoles son inspiraciones especiales. En mis pinturas abstractas trabajo de manera intuitiva y muy a menudo encuentro conexiones estrechas entre las cosas que me rodean y la pieza terminada. Una serie de acuarelas, por ejemplo, la titulé 'After Mozart' (Después de Mozart). Recuerdo haberlas colocado en el piano y me di cuenta de que evocaban una melancolía velada, la misma sensación que la pieza que había estado estudiando en ese momento. No intento pintar conscientemente una pieza musical; podría intentarlo, pero me gusta esta sensación de sorpresa y la revelación a un nivel más profundo.

Volviendo a mi pintura actual, me pregunto si Romance de Schumann influye de alguna manera en el cuadro. O tal vez mi interpretación de Romance ha recogido los colores y las texturas de los tejados de mi vecindario...


Comentarios